One of the biggest questions we get from cat owners is, “Should I feed my cat wet or dry food?” Unfortunately, the answer isn’t always cut and dry (no pun intended). This post will cover everything a cat owner should know about canned or dry food for their cat.
Benefits of wet food
Cans of wet food have a moisture content of at least 60 percent. Here are a few reasons to feed a cat wet food:
- Urinary health: Because they have high water content, wet foods make a cat’s urine more diluted. The more diluted a cat’s urine, the lower the concentration of solids that cause urinary tract infections or other bladder problems.
- Weight management: Obesity is a major problem among felines. The heavier a cat gets, the shorter its lifespan and the more health problems it’s likely to have. Wet food has a lower calorie count than dry food, so it’s often a good choice for overweight cats.
- Helps with constipation: Cats often run into constipation issues when they don’t get enough water. When that’s the case, wet food can be a good solution. The high moisture content in just one or two cans of wet food can help alleviate constipation.
Benefits of dry food
The other option is dry food pellets, which have a moisture content of 14 percent or below. These are a few reasons to consider purchasing bags of dry food:
- Convenience: If you’re wondering whether you should feed your cat wet or dry food, consider the convenience of dry food. Many cats prefer grazing throughout the day as opposed to only eating at specific mealtimes, so keeping a bowl of dry food out can be more convenient for owners and cats alike.
- Plaque and tartar removal: The texture in some dry foods can be beneficial for dental health. Chewing on dry food may help with plaque and tartar removal. However, this isn’t the case for all brands, so be sure to read the label.
- More calories: We mentioned that obesity is an issue among cats, but cats shouldn’t be too thin, either. Felines who aren’t getting enough nutrients or calories also run into health issues. Adding dry food to a cat’s diet can help it gain weight.
How can I make sure my cat gets enough water?
Dehydration is a big problem cat owners can run into if they only feed their cats dry food. To combat this issue, consider placing multiple water dishes throughout the house to ensure cats always have access to fresh water. If a cat still doesn’t want to drink fresh water, consider adding 2 cups of water or chicken broth per cup of dry cat food to encourage water intake.
We’re the cat experts
Buying canned or dry food for a cat is often a decision that should be left to the cat’s veterinarian. At Kingstowne Cat Clinic, we specialize in all forms of cat care, so we’re sure to have a good answer for your pet’s needs. Schedule an annual checkup today to see which type of cat food is right for your cat!
Categorised in: Cat Tips
This post was written by Writer