What Should I Do if I Find a Stray Kitten?July 24, 2019 4:21 pm
It’s a common occurrence. You hear a little meow, or see a small ball of fur, and, upon investigation, you discover a stray cat on your porch, in your bushes or on the side of the road. What should you do in these circumstances? If you’re a cat lover, you want to ensure the little one stays safe, but you also can’t bring home every stray cat you find. Your cat vet in Alexandria, VA is here to help.
If you encounter a tiny furball of fun who doesn’t seem to have a home, is abandoned or is lost, take the following steps:
- Provide the basics: To keep the stray cat healthy, provide food, water and shelter. However, to keep your other pets healthy, keep the cat or kitten away from your pets until you know the new arrival is healthy. Proceed with caution for your own safety, too, to avoid bites and scratches.
- Call for backup: Contact a local animal shelter or a nearby humane society for assistance. They may be able to take the cat or help find the kitten a home. If you have decided to keep the cat yourself, you can ask for advice on how to care for the kitten, especially if she is very young.
- Notify the neighborhood: The cat may seem abandoned, but there is a chance that she is actually lost. Ask your local shelter about neighborhood or regional “found” lists where you can add a posting about the cat. Ask your neighbors about the cat, and post flyers with a picture. If someone is missing their beloved pet, they will be very grateful for your efforts! If no one claims the cat, you can use these same methods to advertise and find someone who is interested in adopting the cat.
- Contact the police: Abandoned pets should be reported to local law enforcement. This may sound extreme, but pet abandonment is a crime. In some jurisdictions, it’s punishable by jail time and fines. Reporting these incidents can help educate people about the law and deter future abandonment.
- Prevent litters: Either have the cat spayed or neutered or be sure that the home she is going to will perform this procedure. This will prevent unwanted litters that lead to more abandoned kittens in the future.
- Consult with your vet: Your cat clinic in Alexandria, VA is another great resource to tap if you find an abandoned cat. Don’t hesitate to contact your clinic with any questions about the cat’s health or for advice on next steps.
Get More Answers
If you’ve found an abandoned cat, feel free to contact Kingstowne Cat Clinic. As your locally-owned, community-focused cat clinic in Alexandria, VA, we are happy to help. We offer wellness exams, surgery, vaccinations, dentistry and more. Our experienced staff is ready to assist you with care for your new cat or advice on how to proceed with keeping him healthy and finding him a new home. Reach out to us today with any questions!
Categorised in: Cat Clinic
This post was written by Writer