You’ll be glad to know that it’s actually pretty easy to help your cat live a long and healthy life. Of course it’s important to provide your cat with a proper diet and exercise—however, you should also be giving them plenty of love and attention as well. Read on to learn more ways of giving your cat the best life possible, courtesy of the experts at our cat care clinic in Alexandria County, VA:
- Watch out for fleas and ticks: Parasites are a major problem when it comes to all sorts of pets. These tiny pests are a serious annoyance, and can even cause certain diseases like bacterial infections, tapeworms and anemia. Preventing these pests is relatively easy, but finding the right preventative method may take some trial and error. There are plenty of collars, sprays, powders and other parasite prevention products available. However, a lot of these products don’t work as advertised. That’s why it’s best to contact your veterinarian and see what they recommend.
- Feed them right: Be sure to only feed your cat food that has all the vitamins and minerals they need. Some of these minerals include iron, calcium, magnesium and more. Do plenty of research on any cat food you’re considering buying. Check the reviews and see if the product is recommended by vets. Cats that don’t have a healthy diet will be lethargic and end up with frequent upset stomachs. With a good diet, your cat will have a beautiful coat, strong teeth, a better immune system and more.
- Spaying or neutering: You’ve probably been told time and again the importance of spaying or neutering your cat. That’s because this is one of the best things you can do to keep your pet safe and healthy. Spaying and neutering help prevent a number of diseases in both male and female cats, including testicular cancer, breast tumors, prostate issues and more. You also won’t have to worry about your male cats spraying or your female cats constantly trying to escape.
- Clean their bathroom: You should always keep a cat’s litter box clean. This will help prevent bad smells from drifting into your home and make your cat more comfortable when using the bathroom. Using a litter box that hasn’t been cleaned is quite unsanitary and may cause your cat to track waste around inside your home.
- Play with your cat: For your cat to stay happy, you’ll need to play with them. Most cats love playtime, which might include chasing a toy or figuring out food puzzles. While cats love to rest, don’t let yours become too lethargic. See if you can get them to play several times a day. If your cat likes playing outside, make sure they have plenty of water and places to cool off.
Making your cat happy is one of the easiest things in the world. Just be sure to show them plenty of love and attention. It’s also important to bring your feline friend to the vet for routine wellness exams.
If you’re an Alexandria, VA cat owner looking for a great veterinary clinic, visit Kingstowne Cat Clinic to meet our team!
Categorised in: Cat Tips
This post was written by Writer